This condition is particularly common in the Oriental population, where slim almond shaped faces are deemed most desirable. Fortunately, Botox and/or Dysport can be used to quickly and safely slim down square faces.
Some people have very prominent jaw muscles of the lower face, known as ‘masseter hypertrophy’. This can occur in patients suffering teeth grinding (bruxism) or it may simply be part of your normal facial anatomy. When these muscles are bulky, they create a widening effect of the lower face. In women, a ‘squared – jaw’ appearance is perceived to be more ‘masculine’. This is most apparent when viewing a persons face head on.
Botox or Dysport can be used easily and effectively to weaken the masseter muscles. Patient will notice that the muscles as a consequence also get smaller over a period of approximately 4- 8 weeks. The procedure therefore slims the lower face gently over a period of time. It is also known as ‘lower facial contouring’.
Jaw ReductionFrequently Asked Questions
- What is the BOTOX ® / DYSPORT jaw reduction procedure all about? This technique is to reduce the flare and width of a wide jawline. Reducing the appearance of a wide jawline can help establish improved facial harmony and thereby elevate one’s attractiveness. In particular, some races like Koreans tend to have a stronger masseter muscle (chewing muscle) and a wider outer face. BOTOX ® or DYSPORT jaw reduction can be undertaken to create a more pleasing facial shape.
- Who is an appropriate candidate to have this procedure done? The most important criterion to decide if you are a good candidate is the thickness of your masseter muscle. The relative thickness of the masseter can be easily determined by biting down hard and feeling the outer jawline. If the muscle appears to be almost rock hard and enlarged in appearance when you clench your teeth, you may be a good candidate to have this procedure done. Another important aspect to investigate relates to your habits that may predispose you to have a larger masseteric muscle and flared jawline. Excessive and frequent gum chewing can accentuate the size of the masseter over time. You may not know it, but you may be grinding your teeth (known as bruxism) that can also lead to a larger masseter as well. If you suspect this condition (sore jaws in the morning, painful or worn down teeth or TMJ pain/clicking), you should also consider seeking dental consultation.
- How does BOTOX ® / DYSPORT reduce the size of my jaws? BOTOX ® or DYSPORT weakens the injected muscle over time, which leads in turn to a reduction in the overall size. By reducing the muscle at the point of attachment to the bone, the bone can also reduce over time giving longer-lasting results without compromise to the strength of the bone. The aesthetic effect of reducing the flared nature of the jawline is only truly appreciated in the right candidate.
- Will I have problems chewing my food? 99% of patients experience no ill side-effects of chewing, however, if you do experience some tiring after chewing for a while, this phenomenon is only temporary and will go away over time.
- Does the procedure hurt? No. We use the smallest needle possible and use ice or numbing cream, if neccessary, to virtually eliminate all discomfort.
- What is the recovery like? There is no recovery period or downtime. The procedure is complete in 2 to 3 minutes.
- When will I see a difference and how long will the result last? Unlike regular BOTOX ® or DYSPORT of the upper face with results that can be evident in approximately 3 to 10 days following treatment and lasts about 3 to 4 months in time, BOTOX ® or DYSPORT of the masseter takes about 6 weeks before you see the difference and will last typically between 3-6 months, depending on the strength and amount of product used in the muscle. However, at the end of the first week, you may notice that your jawline feels a lot softer when you bite down and feel it.
- Are the results permanent? Although some researchers have claimed that the procedure is permanent after 2 to 3 injection cycles, the human body is amazing at recovering itself. The effects will last longer and longer if you do keep up with your treatment cycles. We recommend a second session at 6 months following the first injection in order to effect reduction in bone and muscle bulk to attempt at greater longevity and thereafter start to spread dosing intervals out 9 months, then possibly 12 month intervals.
At Second Skin Medspa we work closely with every patient to achieve optimum results. We urge you to come in for a FREE consultation with our medical professional in order to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure. If your square jaw is bothering you and/or are looking for a more slimmer looking jaw, then visit us at Second Skin Medspa and EXPERIENCE THE RESULTS!
We are conviniently located on the corner of Yonge and Eglinton in mid-town Toronto, Ontario. Call us today to book your appointment: 416.481.SKIN(7546)
Unit 200-10 Eglinton Ave East, Toronto, ON M4P 1AP